Technology Responsible Use Policy Trainings
As part of our Digital Citizenship Initiative, the Department of Catholic Schools has developed online trainings to supplement the Technology Responsible Use Policies. You can use them to review the policies with students, parents, and staffs. It is our hope that these help all community members better understand their responsibilities and prevent issues with the use of technology.
Please be clear that this does not replace the legal document. Completing a training is not legally binding. They are designed to educate users about their responsibilities with more examples and details that the written document that they must agree to and sign.
You may use this form directly with your staff. Responses will be shared back to tech coordinators and principals.
Students (grades 5-8) and Parents
This has been set up as a template that you can copy for use in your school. Here's how to make your copy: In Google Drive, click New --> More --> Google Forms --> From a template --> Select the TRUP training for students
Red flags for dangerous emails!
Review and save this page full of tips for recognizing spam, phishing, and other fraudulent emails!
Never click an emailed link and Log In! Hackers use counterfeit login pages to steal your credentials, including 2 Step Verification codes!
Worried about Phishing? Test and Train your staff!
New threat and a tool that can help!
Recent news has shed light on a new threat: phishing campaigns that break 2 step verification.
- Basically, you could give access to your account by entering your password on a fake site... even with 2 Step enabled. This type of hack used to be very complicated, but toolkits to set them up are now easily available. That's the bad news.
- The good news is you have to fall for the phishing for it to work! 2 Step Verification is still a good way to protect your accounts.
A helpful tool for managing this threat is a Chrome extension called Password Alert. Google designed this little app to recognize when you type your Google Account password into any site that isn't a legitimate Google Login. We'll be deploying it to all CSDO.org accounts this summer.
Digital Citizenship Resources
- Common Sense Media | Digital Passport: Lesson plans and interactive classroom for students to learn about Safety, Privacy, Bullying, Information Literacy, and more.
- The News Literacy Project | Checkology : Resources and interactive classroom to improve information literacy, like identifying bias, source, and "Fake News"
- Digital Citizenship online PD
- Be Internet Awesome: Curriculum and activities from Google
Protecting Student Privacy
- Common Sense Media Reviews for Products, Websites, Apps, and Games
- Data Privacy Guidebook, created by F3, CETPA and CCSESA
- “Ask Before You App” video for teachers
- Check if a company has signed the Student Privacy Pledge
- Use the Terms of Service; Didn't Read Extension to review a website's TOS.
Content Filtering for Schools
Content filtering is required for all schools in the Diocese of Oakland. It is also a requirement to receive E-Rate funds. Here are some simple solutions for protecting students from inappropriate content on the internet:
- Open DNS Family Shield - Free and simple
- Open DNS Home - Free, customizable filtering
- Restrict Youtube Content - Allow access to Youtube while blocking non-educational content
- Enable Web Content Filtering on iPads - Meraki Systems Manager | Mosyle MDM
- Chromebook Filtering with GoGuardian - Available with paid GoGuardian subscription
Below you will find information about individual hacks, breaches, exploits, and other events that threaten your safety online. We will use this page as a safe place to post this information; you can trust the links on this site!
Evite - August 11, 2013
San Diego Unified PowerSchool Breach - 2018 School Year
Collection #1 - January 7, 2019
Apollo Data Breach - October 5, 2018
Kayo.moe List - September 13th, 2018
Exactis Data Breach — July 25th, 2018
Spear Phishing Attack — Jun 4, 2018 5:32:32 PM
Apple ID Scam — Mar 20, 2018 9:02:08 PM
"2,844 Separate Data Breaches" - massive trove of unverified breach data — Feb 26, 2018 7:53:55 PM
Meltdown and Spectre — December 2017
Mac OS High Sierra bug — Nov 29, 2017 5:30:59 PM
Onliner Spambot — Aug 29, 2017 10:31:23 PM
B2B USA Businesses Spam List — Aug 4, 2017 3:38:33 AM
Edmodo Breach — Jun 1, 2017 4:58:12 PM
Be on guard for PowerSchool Phishing! — May 18, 2017 12:08:29 AM
Wave of Ransomware Attacks — May 15, 2017 11:11:29 PM
Exploit.In list — May 8, 2017 5:29:21 PM
Anti Public Combo List — May 8, 2017 5:27:12 PM