Google no longer supports Internet Explorer 8
Post date: Dec 21, 2012 4:50:03 PM
Hello from Google,
On January 15, 2013, users accessing Google Apps using Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) will see the following changes:
- Gmail will automatically forward users to basic HTML view (http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15049). Users will have the option to revert to regular view for each login session.
- Users on IE8 can only compose email in Gmail using basic HTML. Features such as the new compose experience in Gmail will not work in IE8.
- Google Calendar will provide read-only access (http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33864).
- Google Slides and Drawings will not be available (as has been the case since early 2011) .
Google Apps support for Microsoft IE8 was discontinued on November 15th, 2012, per the list of supported browsers (http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33864). Google Apps continues to fully support Microsoft IE9 and IE10 browsers.
If your users require IE8 or another unsupported browser, Google recommends a dual browser strategy for your organization. The unsupported browser can be used for legacy web applications while a second, modern web browser like Chrome can provide a more optimized experience with websites and applications such as Google Apps.
Google Chrome is a free, secure, and stable web browser used by hundreds of millions of people. As an IT manager, you can download Chrome for Business, an MSI installer (https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/?brand=CHWS&utm_source=ie8-ent-admin&utm_medium=email), to deploy Chrome in your organization and then use Group Policy Objects to easily manage policies and preferences. As an enterprise Google Apps customer, support for Google Chrome is covered by Enterprise Google Support (http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/10/enhanced-chrome-browser-support-for.html).
Chrome is the only browser that supports the following advanced Google Apps functions:
- Offline support for Gmail, Calendar, and Drive
- Drag & drop into Gmail
- Copy/paste images into Gmail
- Email, calendar and chat notification popups
- Native printing in Google Docs
- Upload folders into Drive
- If you’re interested in deploying Chrome for Business (https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/business/?brand=CHWS&utm_source=ie8-ent-admin&utm_medium=email) in your organization, you may find the following links helpful:
Chrome FAQ for Administrators (http://support.google.com/chromeos/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188447)
Deploying Chrome for Business (https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/d/12my4PJkmCDbRjoS5Ske2Dl0bejwwEV_GDnf4bjyVWMQ/edit)
About Chrome for Business Support (http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1071087)
The Google Apps Team